Thursday, November 08, 2012

"Results are God's!" {post election thoughts}

A favorite quote of mine by John Quincy Adams is fitting these days:
"Duty is ours, results are God's."

 




Two nights ago I sat with my parents and oldest siblings around a laptop, watching the election results come in. We (our family) had gladly done our duty.  We had appreciated the privilege. We had thanked God for our freedom. The privilege and freedom of voting. I hope you did too! Together we had continually prayed...prayed for positive results...prayed others would do their duty too...prayed we wouldn’t have another four years.

And so we watched, hopefully. Hopes were dashed time after time as results came in: yet another state popped up on the screen in that dreaded blue hue. Occasionally, some encouraging red states came too...West Virginia, Indy, Southern states and more, though, sadly, not our home state. {Why is Florida always so close? It made me wish I would’ve done more.} The evening continued on and delegate numbers climbed increasingly high...in that same blue color. And finally an announcement boldly declared: “Walls caving in on Romney”.

I didn’t care to see the “victory” speech. The crazy crowd...the sin present. It was far too upsetting. Why? Why another term? Why more harm done to future generations? Why did God let it happen?

I don’t have the answers. And, whether you admit or not, you don’t either. I know and am encouraged when I recall Lamentations 3:22-24 "It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him."

It is truly all of the "Fullness of His grace that we have received one blessing after another..." {John 1:16} and still enjoy the freedoms we do have, despite the gross immorality so rampant in our nation! He has, in his perfect sovereignty, granted us another four years with the president we’ll have. "Blessed be the name of God for ever and ever: for wisdom and might are his: And he changeth the times and the seasons: he removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding..." {Daniel 2:20-21}

Yes, we understandably and rightfully wish for leaders that would uphold Biblical principles, and would truly allow us the freedom that, in written form, we do have. But no matter what, I, and all Christians have incredibly important responsibilities pertaining to our nation!

To be a shining light for Jesus! "Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matthew 5:13-16}

To pray for our nation and our leaders. "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." {2 Chronicles 7:14}

To honor our leaders for their position! This includes when our leaders don't earn our honor due to ungodly lives, for we still must obey God's commands.."Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation." {Romans 13:1-2}

To declare His truths! Even if the government doesn’t allow us... "For we cannot but speak the things we have both seen and heard! [The leaders] set [Peter and John] before the council: and the high priest asked them,  Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us. Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men." {Acts 4:20, 5:27-29}

To share the gospel everywhere we have opportunity! Jesus' last words to his disciples before he ascended to heaven were this: "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:  Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen." Matthew 28:19-20}

To remember where our eternal citizenship lies! "And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever." {Ephesians 4:18}

To live for eternity! Living my life in such a way that I can look forward to hearing Him say one day: "Well done, thou good and faithful servant... enter thou into the joy of thy lord." {Matthew 25:21}

“What is the best thing I can do for my country?”, one may thoughtfully ask. The answer: “Live a holy life!!!" "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;  Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy. Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul; Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation. Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men." {2 Peter 2:9-15}



Months before November 6th, I campaigned. Then, on Election Day, we (our family) enjoyed exercising our God given freedom. Now, despite the saddening results, we’ll keep doing our eternal duty: living a holy life! The one duty that matters most…not just for today, nor just next year, but for generations to come and for all eternity!

Will you do yours?
 "The Lord reigneth; let the earth rejoice!"
{Psalm 97:1}

4 comments:

welcomecompany said...

Beautifully said. I have been very discouraged by the anger and despair I have seen since the election results. I am praying we all remember that God is ultimately in control and that our hope does not lie in a political party or in an election. Blessings, Danielle B.

grammie said...

Wow Junior!
Beautifully, beautifully written! I very much appreciate the encouragement and "charge"! Very good perspective.
And I LOVE the pictures of the Rosebud! I see a wallpaper change comin!
Thanks for coming back to your blog! I've really missed it!
I love you precious people!

Morgan Family said...

Praise the Lord! Thank you for the encouragement! I heard it wisely said that now that the election is over we must chose whether we're going to live in doubt, fear and hate like many or be a light and live in hope, faith and love! Blessings too you too...
Charity

Morgan Family said...

Thank you...and praise the Lord for giving me the words! Yes, I know she is completely adorbs...as always! ;) And you're welcome...I'll try to keep it up, but I'm not making promises! I love you too!!
Charity